Building a new home is often the most daunting and stressful exercise one can undertake. That’s why we’re committed to making the process easier by guiding you every step of the way. To get you started, we have prepared the most common frequently asked questions as a reference tool.

Can’t find your question? Avoid pitfalls and contact us now for the right answers.


  • What is Home Warranty Insurance?

    Home Builders Warranty Insurance is compulsory for all residential building works carried out by a licensed builder. This type of insurance covers all construction work and starts from the certificate of final inspection for a period of six 6 years.
  • What am I really getting from the builder?

    At A Class Home Builders we leave nothing unchecked. We begin by visiting the proposed site to learn more about it, talk to architects about plans and then prepare an estimate for you. The estimate includes all standards and inclusions associated with the project, laid out in a document so that you understand how we arrived at the estimate. Once the estimate is approved, we start the project.

    We are the coordinators of the construction site. With the architect's drawings in hand, we use qualified tradespeople and suppliers to perform all of the work, including establishing foundations, framing, roofing, plumbing and wiring. We then order and install appliances, flooring, cabinetry, and other accessories, delivering a complete finished home at the end of the job.

  • What is a building contract?

    Building contracts normally comprise of three separate documents. The first is the drawings/plans, these are prepared by either your or our draftsperson or architect. The second document is the estimation, this is a listing of the work to be carried out. The third document is the building contract itself, this is a legal document that sets out the role, rights and responsibilities of the consumer and the builder.


  • Can we modify the home design to suit our needs?

    You can select from one of our existing professorial designs based upon pre-drawn house plans. However, one thing is certain the vast majority of changes can be made to any plan. No matter how minor or substantial the modification is, it's your home!
  • How long does the council approval process take?

    There are three stages for a complete approval: Town Planing consent or Developer Approval and Surveyors Approval. The total amount of time taken for the three stages is approximately 8 - 10 weeks.
  • What is a 5-star energy rating?

    A home's energy rating is determined by the design which includes solar hot water systems, lighting, insulation, water tanks etc.


  • What are the various stages of constructing a home?

    Base stage: A concrete slab is poured; or for a timber floor, concrete footings are poured and the basic brickwork is complete to floor level.
    Frame stage: A frame is erected; trusses are fitted to the house and the garage and approved by a building surveyor.
    Lock up stage: Your roof tiles, exterior brickwork is completed. External windows and doors are installed (even if the doors are temporary).
    Fixing stage: The interior of your home is plastered. Architraves, skirting, internal doors etc. are fitted and fixed into place.
    Final stage: Painting, tiling to wet areas and where specified, final electrical, plumbing works are completed.
  • When will I need to pay a progress invoice for my new home?

    A Class Home Builders will invoice you at the end of each stage: base, frame, lockup, fixing, and completion. This is mainly to cover the materials and labour as the job progresses. The invoice is payable within 7 days of the date of the invoice.
  • Can I end the Contract?

    The contract normally contains provisions about ending the contract and these must be followed. Ending the contract should be undertaken as a last resort and only after careful consideration, reasonable negotiation between both parties and obtaining specific legal advice.


  • What is an Occupancy Permit? Where do I get this from?

    All State and Territory building legislation throughout Australia requires a document which legally allows a building to be occupied, these are known as Occupancy Permit and will only be issued when a building surveyor is satisfied and has approved your building as being suitable for occupation.

    An occupancy permit will only be issued to you when items affecting health and safety are in place and capable of being operational. These include things such as the water supply, sanitary and cooking facilities, smoke alarms, safety glass, handrails and balustrades.

  • When do I have to arrange for insurance on my home?

    Before the home is settled you will need to insure your house to be effective on the day of handover and settlement. You will need to insure the building as well as the contents. Make sure the settlement date is confirmed.
  • An appliance is not working correctly. Who do I contact to fix it?

    Your standard appliances are covered by the specific manufacturer’s warranty. Brochures are provided to you at the handover so you can contact the manufacturer direct.

    Ovens, heating systems and air-conditioning units are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty from the date of the Occupancy Permit.